Harvard Teaching Cases
“Kansai Digital Phone,” with F. Asís Martinez-Jerez. 2005, Harvard Business School Case No. 106-006.more...
Ted Katagi, marketing strategy manager of Kansai Digital Phone (KDP), utilizes customer lifetime value as a key metric to prioritize initiatives in an emergency plan to turn around the company. KDP is a regional phone company in Japan with less than stellar performance. Katagi is sent from the U.S. partner, Airtouch (later Vodafone), to assemble a team to design and implement a plan that improves company to performance. Katagi must quickly prioritize actions and then assess the expected economic impact.
“Musimundo,” with F. Asís Martinez-Jerez. 2005, Harvard Business School Case No. 105-036.more...
Mario Quintana, managing partner of Pegasus Capital, was preparing for the upcoming Musimundo board of directors meeting. He was satisfied with the investment decisions of the entertainment retailer, as actual performance surpassed the initial budget. However, given a recent market rebound, Quintana worried that the firm might be falling short of its potential. Additionally, the board of directors would have to analyze a proposal to reset sales targets for the different stores.
“MercadoLibre.com,” with F. Asís Martinez-Jerez and Joshua Bellin. 2006, HBS Case No. 106-057.more...
MercadoLibre.com, eBay’s Latin-American partner, needed to decide how far it was going to follow eBay’s practice of offering “free listing days” and discounted special-feature days. Was this type of promotion prudent, given MercadoLibre.com’s customer base, revenue expectations, and position in the Latin American market?
Book Chapters and Research Annals
“Three Perspectives on Team Learning: Outcome Improvement, Task Mastery, and Group Process,” with Amy Edmondson and Kathryn Roloff. Chapter 6 (pp. 269–314) in The Academy of Management Annals, Vol. 1. 2007.
“Career Patterns and Organizational Performance,” with Monica Higgins. Chapter 21 (pp. 422–436) in Handbook of Career Studies. 2007, Sage Publications.
- “Executive Strategy Teams: The Effects of Top Management Working Groups in the Strategy Process.” Paper presented to the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, 2011.
- “Teams at the Top: Revisiting the Structure and Effects of Strategic Work in Top Management.” Paper presented to the Trans-Atlantic Doctoral Conference, London Business School, 2010.
- “Patterns of Organizing Senior Executives for Strategic Decision Making: Preliminary Evidence.” Presentation at the Research Workshop in Social Psychology, Harvard University, 2008.
- “Going to School in the Team: Individual Learning from Team Experience,” with Amy Edmondson and Shikhar Sarin. Paper presented to the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Anaheim, Calif., 2008.
- “Antecedents of Boundary Spanning in Cross-Functional NPD Teams,” with Amy Edmondson and Shikhar Sarin. Paper presented to the Product Development Management Association, Research Forum, Orlando, Fl, 2007.
- “Individual Learning from Team Experiences.” Paper presented to the Department of Psychology, Harvard University, 2007.
- “The Influence of Education on the Moral Reasoning of Young Accountants.” Paper presented to the Student Research Conference, Harvard Graduate School of Education, 2004.
- “Developing a Taxonomy of Support: A Framework for Distinguishing and Measuring Contextual Support for Learning.” Panel discussion at the Student Research Conference, Harvard Graduate School of Education, 2004.